Hi lovelies! Happy Monday! I’m working from home today as I’m also dogsitting a certain cute little staffie, Kilo whilst Stella is away in the sunshine in Marbella. Nice to have a day at home just sitting in front of laptop in comfy clothes and being productive. Love the furry company too!
Speaking of work, I have to share one of my most recent frustrations in life. I have a slight obsession with walking at least 10000 steps a day. It’s what I’ve been told is a good amount to walk. This is something I I try to stick to because I love to move and I like having a goal as with everything else in life. It’s nice to be able to track how much you’ve moved in a day and to have sort of a benchmark of how many steps you should aim towards. My step counter encourages me to get another walk in when I don’t quite feel up for it if I see my steps are low. Once you’re out the door I love it but sometimes you need a little push to get out of the door, especially this time of year when it’s so dark all the time.
Since I’ve started working in a desk job I’ve noticed how easy it is to avoid walking or in other words how difficult it is to get your steps up. In the past couple of weeks I haven’t been hitting my 10000 steps a day. It’s been around 8000 maybe. Other days it’s more bot other days it’s less. Whilst it’s definitely not bad I do get frustrated as it is a sign that I’m not as active as I’d like to be. Never mind the amount of steps I’ve actually done. the amount is just not as much. This shows that I need to start making more of a conscious effort to get my steps in on a daily basis. Something that’s difficult when work requires you to sit in front of a screen.
One thing I would really like to do is get my little walk in at lunch time again. I used to do that all the time during my previous office job and felt so much better for it so I’m starting that this week. The fresh air really clears your mind.
So I wanted this blog post to maybe be a little wake up call for you guys who are also sitting in front of a screen the majority of the day, are you moving enough? Are getting out of your chair enough? Remember that it’s important. Don’t forget taking care of yourself so you feel good will in turn help you work harder because you feel better.
My five times during the day where I would usually try and squeeze in my steps are:
- To work: Not only does it make me move but it also wakes me up in the morning. I live about 25 minutes away from work and in that time I listen to a podcast and just take the time for my body to wake up properly. By the time I get to the office I feel mentally ready to get working. This is also why I love going to the gym in the morning. I don’t drink coffee so this is my “caffeine kick”.
- During lunch: Okay I did just mention above that I haven’t really done this properly for a while but I have done it a couple of times last week and now I want to do it everyday. Even if it’s just 10 minutes around a couple of blocks by your office, it does make a difference.
- To and from meetings: It’s really easy to just jump into an uber, car, get on the bus or catch the underground but maybe make an effort to walk to you meetings that are nearby instead. If a meeting is about 20 minutes or so away I try to take the time to walk there if I can. I know it’s not always possible but sometimes it actually is the quickest in comparison to having to rely on public transport, an uber or finding a parking space for your car so you might even be more time efficient.
- To the gym or anywhere else I need to be: Whether it’s my walk down to the gym or going to pick up groceries I do try to walk there.
- From work: It’s the end of your working day and yes it’s very tempting to just get on the bus, the tube or in the car but no we’re walking home! Unless I’m in a hurry I always take the time to walk home. It also gives me the chance to sign out from work properly before getting home, getting that space to walk, think and reflect.
Can we please make a pact now to walk more during our days at the office? We’ll feel so much better for it. You guys probably need it, I definitely need it so let’s do it together!